The village pub, The Bridge, is at the north end of the village whilst in the south-east corner you will find St. Mary's Church, and the Village Hall (the pub is no longer open and the landlord is looking for a new tenant). The Teesdale Way passes through Whorlton and crosses Whorlton Beck to an area of flat rocks with spectacular views overlooking the River Tees. The river bank shows evidence of ferry crossings, prior to the building of the bridge, and a now derelict (but very romantic) ferryman’s cottage. The building is dangerous and should not be entered.


Please be aware, that Whorlton Lido, despite still being marked on various maps and described in many magazines, is now closed to the public. Access to the south bank of the river is not available (other than via the public footpath), and the land is privately owned. The Thorpe Light Railway, however, is very much alive and well. See our links page for further information about this narrow gauge railway.


Whorlton Village Hall was originally built as an Independent Chapel by Mr Ferdinand Raine in 1840. The hall eventually fell into disrepair and was bought by the local church authorities. The Whorlton Village Community Association was formed in 1991 with the aim of restoring and managing the hall. The facilities within the hall make it an ideal location for both private and business activities. Further details of the hall facilities can be found on the Village Hall page of this site.

The Association Committee meets every two months and hold an AGM in April each year.